During the COVID-19 crisis, we are all functioning in a new and challenging environment. Here are some resources to support the wellness of LGBTQ+ students, faculty, and staff during this time. Faculty and staff are encouraged to share these resources with their students; you can even link to this web page in your syllabus or Canvas.
In addition, the Office of Student Life is providing a COVID-19 Student Assistance page to connect students with resources to meet basic needs, including food, housing, and technology assistance.
Sharing Care and Fostering Social Connections
Check out sweet video messages of care for our LGBTQ+ students. We have messages from student leaders, staff, and faculty!
Many of Western’s LGBTQ+ student clubs have created ways for students to connect digitally. Info about clubs with online connections is here.
Join LGBTQ+ Western and friends for virtual weekly gatherings. We’re offering Queer Yoga, Mindful Self-Compassion practices, and Queer Arts & Culture Conversations with a different faculty guest each week! These programs are open to all people in the Western community and center the wellness of LGBTQ+ students. Details about accessing the sessions here.
The LGBTQ+ Director is holding office hours via Zoom on Tuesdays from 2:00 to 3:00 p.m. and Fridays from 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Students, faculty, and staff may sign up for an office hours meeting here. You can also contact LGBTQ+ Western via email or phone (360-650-7500), including to find a different time to connect.
Follow LGBTQ+ Western (@lgbtqwestern) on Instagram and Facebook and sign up for emails right here on the website.
The LGBTQ+ Director has shared messages providing resources for self-care and learning while physically distancing. Read these messages here.
Sharing Pronouns in Online Communication Tools
Anyone can share their pronouns on platforms including Canvas and Zoom. Even if people regularly assume your pronouns correctly, sharing your pronouns can be a meaningful act of solidarity with transgender students, faculty, and staff who share their pronouns to avoid being misgendered. Directions for indicating your pronouns in Canvas are here. Directions for editing your name in Zoom are here, and you can add your pronouns after your first or last name.
LGBTQ+ Resources Beyond Western
- Rainbow Reconnnection’s Facebook page shares info about many online/virtual resources for LGBTQ+ people and their families during COVID-19.
- Northwest Network: The NW Network of Bi, Trans, Lesbian and Gay Survivors of Abuse continues to provide 1-on-1 services for survivors that are free and confidential.
- Ingersoll Gender Center: Ingersoll is hosting its weekly trans peer support group virtually over Zoom. Meetings take place every Wednesday from 7-9pm.
- Validation Station sends an affirming message every day to trans people.
- National Center for Transgender Equality: NCTE has a COVID-19 guide, which includes links to relevant LGBTQ+ organizations and a few mutual aid resources.
- Trans Lifeline: “A peer support service run by trans people, for trans and questioning callers…If you are in crisis or just need someone to talk to, even if it’s just about whether or not you’re trans, please call us.”
- Trevor Project: “The Trevor Project is the leading national organization providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and questioning (LGBTQ) young people under 25.”